Friday, March 13, 2009

A word about boredom

**** Update: I now have 3 children and bored is not a word in my vocabulary! :) Then again I also have found many ways to keep myself mentally stimulated and challenged (can anyone say homeschooling??).

I was reading somewhere a comment about how stay-at-home mom's don't get bored because there is always something to do. I disagree. I don't think being bored or not has anything to do with if there is something to do. Obviously those of us who stay home know there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done-dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning faces, baths, kids activities, cleaning rooms, making beds, cleaning bathrooms etc etc. And when all that is done, its time to do it again. Personally, I can have all this to do and still feel extremely bored! I think boredom is the lack of something mentally stimulating to do-not simply the lack of something to do. Now maybe some people find all these household tasks stimulating and fulfilling, if you do that's wonderful. Frankly I don't. And I'm bored. My boredom leads me to get less done around the house because I don't have the drive to do it. Ok so that is an excuse but its the way it is. Any suggestions on how I can be a stay-at-home mom and not get bored?

1 comment:

Jennifer McClain said...

I feel the same way! I constantly have a million-and-one things I NEED to do, but I am still bored all the time! Housework is not mentally stimulating for me, it's a daunting chore that I put off as long as possible :)