Monday, August 9, 2010

My first canning attempts

I "canned" for the first time this year! It is very cool to preserve my own food! We (I had help from my husband) made salsa, spaghetti sauce and peach preserves. It was much easier than I expected.

Now I don't think I will make canning my number one method of preservation because of the nutrient loss that comes with it, but its nice to know I have that option and that there is food that will be available in an emergency. I've also read that tomatoes are actually better for you cooked so canning tomato products is still a good idea. I would love to put up some tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.

My biggest complaint is the amount of sugar called for in some recipes. Seriously I don't want to put MORE sugar than fruit. I have found out I can use Pamona's Pectin and use less sugar. What I really want to figure out before I make jam or preserves again is if I can use a more natural sweetener-honey, sucanat, etc. Any ideas?

Here is my salsa:

1 comment:

Life Is Good Farm said...

It looks great! I just saw a recipe for some Lacto Fermented Salso that I want to try. I found that canning is a huge job, but worth it when you really need something out of season.